Friday, July 19, 2019

Stampin' Up! Best Catch Masculine Birthday Card

Yesterday I hosted our card group and brought out the Best Catch Stamp Set and matching Catch of the Day dies to create this card, inspired by Chris Smith...


My colors come close to Sugarplum, Canary and Lagoon for the challenge at Color My Heart Color Dare #352.


and Seize the Birthday #170 has an optional topping of "rainbow". I think my rainbow trout fits right in, don't you?

Measurements and ingredients are listed below. 

I know I labeled this as a masculine card but it could be for a woman too. Before I married Perry, I used to fly fish for rainbow trout up in the Adirondacks. Once I married him, we just would go regular fishing...much easier. I even wanted to make my own fly hooks but it was just too tedious. There are some beauties out there. We used to watch all the fishing shows but that phase of life has been replaced with making cards. Speaking of which, let's get back to the card to see how it was done and how you can do it!

Using the largest and third largest Stitched Shapes Dies, I cut a mat out of Tranquil Tide card stock and the sentiment square out of Crumb Cake card stock.  I had lots of scraps for those. Using stamps from the Best Day Stamp set, stamp the fly in Tranquil Tide ink and the sentiment in Memento Tuxedo Black ink.

I used Clear Block I to add a drop of Coastal Cabana, a separate drop of Fresh Fig and a separate drop of Mint Macaron. (Leave space between them as you will be spreading them out with sponges.) Then I put a drop of White Craft ink on each of those dots. I had three separate sponges to blend the white into the color until it was thoroughly mixed and then just sponged the Petal Pink panel with each color until I got the look I wanted. I let that panel dry for a bit. When dry, it almost feels like velvet! Are you tired yet? Yes, I am too but let's go catch that fish, shall we?

Stamp the trout on a scrap of Whisper White using Memento Tuxedo Black ink. Die cut it with the coordinating die from the Catch of the Day dies. Then color it with the tools of your choice...you could even use an aqua painter but I would use Black Staz On and watercolor paper for that. The fins on the fish can be lifted as they are part of the die cut. I may go back and put some clear Wink of Stella on the trout and maybe add some small bubbles...what do you think?

When your smooshed ink panel is dry, do a dry fit for your panels and mats before stamping the fisher person in Tranquil Tide on the card base. 

I think we're done now except for the assembly, which is obvious. My fish is raised up with dimensionals and remember to pop out those fins!

The inside is quite simple. I stamped the creel and hat in Crumb Cake on a mat of Whisper White card stock. The sentiment is a stamp I inherited from Carole.


Measurements:

Card Base: 4 1/4" x 11", scored and folded at 5 1/2"
Mat: 5 1/2" x 1 1/4"
Sponged Panel: 5 1/4" x 1"
Squares: Scraps for die cutting
Fish: Scrap of Whisper White
Inside Mat: 5 1/4" x 4"

Ingredients:

Best Catch Stamp Set
Catch of the Day Dies
Stitched Shape Dies
Crumb Cake Card Stock
Tranquil Tide (retired) Card Stock
Petal Pink Card Stock
Whisper White Card Stock
Tranquil Tide Ink Pad (retired)
Crumb Cake Ink Pad
Memento Tuxedo Black Ink Pad
Fresh Fig refill (retired)
Coastal Cabana refill
Mint Macaron refill
Whisper White Craft Ink refill
Clear Block I
Watercolor Pencils and Blender Pen OR Blends - colors of your choice
Dimensionals
Big Shot or Cuttlebug

Although I have used retired colors, you can substitute Pretty Peacock for the Tranquil Tide and

If you have any questions or if you see that I've forgotten something, just leave me a comment and I'll get back to you. Thanks for visiting today.


Partial Product List

11 comments:

  1. Super pretty! I really love this card, Karen! Your trout is wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card! Glad that you switched to card making...much less blood and guts involved in that. And there are no fish to clean when you're done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. I never had to clean a fish...I was spoiled by my fishing partners :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow that fish is amazing! Love the design, too. Great card. Thanks for sharing at Color My Heart Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super coloring of our fish using all the colors...very pretty. Like the simplicity of your card, the stitched frames and the stamped fisherman in the corner...great layout. Thanks for sharing with us at Color Dare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card, love the gorgeous colours in your panel and that fabulous trout! What a great take on the rainbow topping! Thankyou for playing along at Seize the Birthday, Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lovely iridescent rainbow trout definitely counts for me! Thanks for playing along at Seize The Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great fish colours. Rainbow trout certainly looks the part! Thanks for joining us at Colour My Heart Colour Dare Challenge. Hope you can join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vandra, thank you so much for leaving a comment on behalf of CMHCD.

      Delete

Stampin' Up! Simply Zinnia Thank You for the Creative Creases Challenge #79 Anything with a Fun Fold

Welcome to our Anything Goes With a Fun Fold Challenge. If you haven't played at CCC before, what are you waiting for? We'd love to...