Friday, January 15, 2021

Stampin' Up! Game On Birthday Card

My card today has a story behind it. It was supposed to be my card for yesterday's hop but I realized that two of the papers I used have been discontinued by SU. Somewhere along the way I missed that info.  This was the third one I made for the color challenge. I had made two prior cards but then realized I had used retired DSP on them. Our hop is strictly current product. You'll be seeing those cards Saturday and Sunday. What is white and black and red all over...no, not the newspaper...Karen's cards! Oi!!! I was commissioned to create cards based on the Netflix series, "Queen's Gambit" so that's what this is about. See I told you it had a story behind it!!!



 I used the Game On Stamp Set and Happiest of Birthdays Stamp Set to create my card.

My card base is Basic Black cardstock. I took a piece of Whisper White cardstock (which has been replaced by Basic White cardstock) and stamped the checkerboard image all over it with Memento Tuxedo Black Ink to create my background. I'm entering my card in the TGIF Challenges! #tgifc299.

The Red Velvet Paper (discontinued but you can substitute Real Red Cardstock) and Black Glimmer Paper (also discontinued but you can use Basic Black Cardstock) are cut with the Tailored Tag Punch. Here's a video link to show you how it's done. I did a dry fit until I got the hexagons where I liked them and adhered them with liquid glue. If you have the retired Hexagon Punch, that will save you time.

I stamped the chess image from the Game On Stamp Set on Basic White cardstock using black ink. I used my Stamparatus because I knew I was going to restamp it with VersaMark Ink. I sprinkled it with Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder and heat set it. My iPhone didn't capture the shine, however. I punched it out with the Label Me Lovely Punch. I also punched a Real Red piece, cut it in half and adhered it to the back of the image with liquid glue. I adhered that to the card front with Stampin' Dimensionals.

Then I ran a piece of 3/8" Black Glittered Organdy Ribbon around the art panel and tied a bow.

I stamped the sentiment from the Happiest of Birthdays Stamp Set on scrap Basic White in VersaMark Ink and sprinkled Silver Emboss Powder on it and heat set it. I fussy cut it, sponged the edges and adhered it to the card front with Dimensionals. Then I adhered the panel to the card base with liquid glue.

For the inside, I cut a mat of Real Red and a panel of Basic White. I stamped the sentiment from the Itty Bitty Birthdays Stamp Set in Real Red. I stamped the chess piece image slightly off the bottom left corner in Tuxedo Black.

Thank you for stopping by today and I hope you enjoyed my card. 


Partial Product List

Links by TheseAreMyStamps.com

9 comments:

  1. Very clever..I wondered how you got those hexagons! I'll have to show that trick to my stamp club girls! Great card for the TV show, although I've never watched it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LeAnne, and I know your club girls will be pleased.

      Delete
  2. Fun card - and perfect for King's Gambit-lovers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun card. The recipient will surely love it. Great story behind the card! TFS

    ReplyDelete

Stampin' Up! Cutest Cow Birthday Card for the Happy Inkin Thursday Blog Hop

Thank you for stopping here from wherever you came! We have a sketch challenge today and here is what I created for our hop... So, you might...