Sunday, February 12, 2017

Humming Birds and Bees

I love humming birds (is it one word or two?)...well today it's two :-) BUT I especially love bees because my father was a bee keeper. We had a number of hives in the backyard and we would take the honey comb to a place to have the honey made. I would help slap on the labels and stamp his name and address on the jars. (My first experience stamping!) It was a pleasant childhood memory.

Today I made this card for my granddaughter who turns 21...where did the years go? My inspiration came from Nance at PP331 Color Challenge. I had all the ingredients! My sketch inspiration came from Sketch Saturday #450. I am so thankful for the people who take time out of their busy schedules to create challenges for us card makers! Please visit them and give them props!!

I water colored (or tried to) the hummingbird and fussy cut it. I used Smokey Slate and Blushing Bride. I have no idea what gave it the blue tints. I put a rhinestone on the eye because that didn't come out right. The center of the uncolored flower is done with a Copper Sharpie. The other flowers are done in Blushing Bride with markers and a blender pen. I left the bee uncolored because I didn't know if I could add in another color. The sentiment is Copper heat embossed with some copper thread behind it. I "colored" some white pearls with the copper sharpie and tried to line them up! The card base is Blushing Bride with a mat of copper foil and a mat of Smokey Slate. I'm happy with the way it turned out but I will color the leaves and bee now that I've submitted it for the challenge! 

Thanks for looking!



2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! A great way to use those colors! I think sometimes when you watercolor, the pigments separate and you never know what you'll get! I love the copper-embossed sentiment and pearls! Cass just got metallic sharpies...I am going to "borrow" them and give this a try myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love your watercolored hummingbird--makes for a very realistic looking one. Lovely background too--so glad you joined us at The Paper Players!

    ReplyDelete

Stampin' Up! Painted Lavender Friendship Card for the Happy Inkin' Thursday Blog Hop

Thank you for stopping here from wherever you came! We have a sketch challenge today and here is what I created for our hop... I took a litt...