Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Stampin' Up! Bubble Over Birthday Card

I know it's Wednesday but I have to tell you about Mondays at the Celtic Ray. It's when I sell my cards AND the pub provides my inspiration. So, here is a photo of one of the wall hangings behind the bar...
 and here is the card I made from the photo...

The owner of the Celtic Ray is from Ireland. So is Cormac O'Connor, the main character in Forever by Pete Hamill. I read this book back in 2008 and thought it was fascinating because I love time-travel stories. Cormac leaves Ireland in the mid-1700's  but ends up having to live "forever" in Manhattan until the 21st century! I'm entering my card at Little Red Wagon Challenge #509: Happy Book Lover's Day. National Book Lovers day is the 9th of August this year. This book is one I could read a second time.

I did not have an embossing folder for the bricks so I created my own with a score board and stylus. I was using a piece of thick Whisper White on which to practice. Because it came out so good, I decided to brayer it with Cherry Cobbler ink. I had not measured the card stock so I ended up with a larger than normal card. Had I known I would be successful, I would have used Cherry Cobbler card stock and my normal 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" base! In my order today, I included the Brick and Mortar 3D Embossing Folder. That will be a time saver!!

For the mortar, I took a dollop of Embossing Paste and mixed two drops of Smokey Slate ink refill into it and smeared it on the card front with my palette knife and then wiped it off with the knife, leaving just a little in the cracks. Next time I will let my card dry longer as the red ink mixed in with the gray paste. I was still happy with it.

For the inside, I used the Bubble Over Stamp Set.

I stamped the larger bottle from the set in Shaded Spruce, stamped off once, on a mat of Whisper White. The star is punched from a scrap of Real Red and adhered with a glue dot. I used So Saffron for the bubbles. This stamp set is retired and I thank my friend, Jari, for letting me borrow hers. The bottle cap is Gold Foil and cut from the coordinating retired die set. I matted the art panel to a piece of Basic Black card stock.

This was such a fun card to make for the pub and I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you'll come back tomorrow for our weekly Happy Inkin' blog hop.


Product List

5 comments:

  1. This is very cool...but how did you do the graphic of Ireland? THAT's what this inquiring mind wants to know! I will have to check out that book, I love stories of all the isles of UK!! Anyway it's a wonderful card and he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, LeAnne. My son took a pic at the bar and then we brought it into Publisher and got it to the size I wanted for the card. Let me know if you read the book and what you think of it.

      Delete
  2. Super cute! Great job CASEing the sign! And...if you haven't read all the Outlander books (Dianna Gabaldon)...DO SO AT ONCE!!!! If you love time travel...you will LOVE that series!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I had never heard of the author nor the series. I've been living in my own little world for the past 5 years! I ordered the first book through Overdrive and I'm the first one on the hold list!

      Delete
  3. This is an absolutely fantastic card! I love your clever bricks and the graphics are wonderful. Thanks so much for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

    ReplyDelete

Stampin' Up! Cheerful Daisies Birthday Card for the Happy Inkin' Thursday Blog Hop

Thank you for stopping here from wherever you came! We have a theme challenge today and here is what I created for our hop... Let's take...